Comté Apple Pie Turnovers
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 green apple, small diced
- 2-3 Tbs. sugar
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice (optional)
- 1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted
- 2 oz shredded Comté cheese
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add the diced apples, 2 Tbs. sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and a pinch of salt.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes until softened. Stir in the maple syrup and cook until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Taste and add sugar or lemon juice if desired.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside to cool. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry.
- Cut the sheet into 12 equal squares.
- Whisk the egg with 1 Tbs. water and brush the edges of the squares with the egg wash. Divide the filling evenly among the squares and top each with about 1 Tbs. of shredded Comté.
- Fold the squares into triangles and seal the edges with a fork. Brush the tops of the turnovers with egg wash and top with ½ tsp. of shredded Comté.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.