Grilled Oysters with Comté and Herb Sauce
Cheese, Sex, Death
- 12 shucked oysters
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup grated Comté, rind removed
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives, plus extra to serve
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- 2 dashes hot sauce (optional)
- Heat your grill to medium-high, about 450F.
- Combine butter with garlic, herbs, lemon zest and juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mash it all up with a fork.
- Add half the Comté and mash to combine. If you want a little heat, add a couple dashes of hot sauce.
- Evenly distribute the butter mixture over the oysters.
- Sprinkle the remaining Comté over the oysters.
- Place shells directly on the grill grates, with the shell down and the goods up.
- Cook until the cheese melts and the oysters curl slightly, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and transfer to a serving platter. Serve with lemon wedges and saltines.