Erin Harris www.thecheesepoet.com @thecheesepoet
A nice wedge of Comté cheese makes a great gift no matter the occasion, but we think this recipe for marinated Comté is the perfect gift for the gourmand in your life. Once the cheese has marinated for about one week, the flavors of the garlic, lemon, and rosemary mingle with the olive oil and intensify the flavors of the Comté cheese. This recipe can be doubled or tripled if you can’t bring yourself to give it all away.
- 8 ounces 12-18 month aged Comté cheese
- 1 cup (approximately) good quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 strips lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
- ½ tsp whole black peppercorns
- 2 stems fresh rosemary
- 1 – 8 ounce glass jar with lid
- Remove the rind from the Comté and cut the cheese into ½ -inch cubes. Put the cheese cubes into the jar, packing the cubes with just enough extra space to add the seasonings around the cheese.
- Add the lemon zest, garlic, peppercorns, and rosemary to the jar. Top the cheese with the olive oil until everything is covered. Put the lid on the jar ensuring a tight seal, and refrigerate for about one week before serving. Consume the cheese within one month, and use the leftover olive oil as a garnish to grilled meats and salads.