Breakfast Spread with Comté, Fig & Walnut Jam, Bread & Fruit
- 1 ½ cups dried Black Mission figs (about 8-9 ounces), stems removed & coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 2-3 inch strip orange zest
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- Comté for serving (sliced)
- Good quality fresh bread for serving
- Fruit for serving
- In a small saucepan, add the figs, maple syrup, sugar, salt, orange zest, cinnamon stick and 1 ¼ cups water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 18-22 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up the figs with the back of a spoon, until thickened to the consistency of a loose jam. Remove the cinnamon stick and orange zest. Smash the figs a bit more with the back of the spoon. Turn off the heat and stir in the walnuts. Let cool. The jam can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Serve the fig jam with slices of Comté, good quality bread and fresh fruit.
- Bon appétit!